A burial cloth, which some historians maintain was the Shroud, was owned by the Byzantine emperors but disappeared during the Sack of Constantinople in 1204.
Although there are numerous reports of Jesus' burial shroud, or an image of his head, of unknown origin, being venerated in various locations before the 14th century, there is no historical evidence that these refer to the shroud currently at Turin Cathedral.
However the correspondence of this shroud in Lirey with the shroud in Turin, and its origin has been debated by scholars and lay authors, with statements of forgery attributed to artists born a century apart.
In May 1898 Italian photographer Secondo Pia was allowed to photograph the shroud. In 1931 when another photographer, Giuseppe Enrie, photographed the shroud and obtained results similar to Pia's.
The shroud was damaged in a fire in 1532 in the chapel in Chambery, France.
It is used as part of the devotion to the Holy Face of Jesus. The shroud is rectangular, measuring approximately 4.4 by 1.1 metres (14 ft 5 in × 3 ft 7 in).
The cloth is woven in a three-to-one herringbone twill composed of flax fibrils.